Sweet & Very Crisp... It's the Olympic Giant Asian Pear!
Did you know?
- There are thousands of different known varieties of Asian Pears varying in shape and size
- Asian Pears vary in color from golden yellow to russeted green and are often times speckled with small brown spots
- Prized for their crunchy texture and creamy white flesh, the Asian Pear is exceptionally juicy with a sweet low acid flavor and fragrant aroma
- Olympic Giant is a new variety that was developed in Korea
- Variously known as A-Ri-Rang, Korean Giant
- Asian Pears are often referred to as apple pears because of their crisp and juicy apple like consistency, even though they are of no relation to the apple
- The Asian Pear has been in this country since the late 1800's but has not been planted regularly until the last 10 years
- Their crisp white flesh make them great for fresh eating and salads
- "Olympic Giant" is the name of this variety of Asian Pear, not the size